As much as I love to cook, I sometimes dread cooking during the week! I usually try to do easy recipes or frozen meals from Trader Joes if I know that I can’t commit much of my time to preparing a meal. My mother recently gave me Magnolia Table cookbook and I am in love with it! It’s been getting my family out of our normal meal rotation since I have been all about trying new recipes! The first recipe that I tried was the tortilla soup and let me tell you that it was delicious! It is now a favorite for my husband and I! (The girls had mac and cheese that night.) The recipe that I am going to share with you is from Magnolia Table cookbook with a few slight modifications that I made. You won’t regret making this soup!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- Three 32 ounce cans of chicken broth
- One vine ripened tomato (cut into 1/2 inch dice)
- One 15.25 ounce can corn kernels (drained)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- One jalapeño (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups of shredded chicken (I bought rotisserie chicken.)
- One 5.4 ounce pack of Spanish rice
- One teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (I used more than this since I prefer more cilantro!)
- One avocado- pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Tortilla Chips
- 2 cups shredded mozarella cheese
- In a large soup pot, combine the broth, tomato, corn, onion, jalapeño, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and add the shredded chicken. Simmer until heated through.
- Stir the rice into the soup. Add the cumin in (if using) and simmer for 15 minutes to cook the rice and let the flavors meld.
- Place the cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips, and mozzarella on separate serving dishes. Ladle the soup into bowls and use garnishes if desired.
- Soup can be stored in a container in refrigerator for up to 4 days.